Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP)
Main Phone: (661) 721-6300
Physical Address: 3000 West Cecil Avenue, Delano, CA 93216-6000 (Directions)
Staff Mailing Address:
- P.O. Box 3130, Delano, CA 93216-6000
Inmate Mailing Addresses (by facility)*:
- Facility 'A', P.O. Box 5101, Delano, CA 93216
- Facility 'B', P.O. Box 5102, Delano, CA 93216
- Facility 'C', P.O. Box 5103, Delano, CA 93216
- Facility 'D', P.O. Box 5104, Delano, CA 93216
- Facility 'M', P.O. Box 5105, Delano, CA 93216
- ASU1, P.O. Box 5107, Delano, CA 93216
- ASU2, P.O. Box 5106, Delano, CA 93216
Learn about contacting, visiting, and corresponding with inmates and juveniles who are in our institutions.
- Vocational:Auto Mechanics, Office Services and Related Technologies, Small Engine Repair, and Welding.
- Assessments: General Educational Development (GED) and Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE).
- Certifications: Automotive Service Excellence (ASE), Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS): Word, Excel, and Power Point, Outdoor Power Equipment Specialist Association (OPESA), and National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER).
- Academic:Adult Basic Education (ABE) I, II, III, and GED.
- Assessments: Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment Systems (CASAS), GED, and TABE
- Library: Law and Recreational services available.
- Physical Education: Indoor and outdoor tournaments and special events solely for those inmate participants over 55 years of age.
- Television Specialist: Monitors the closed circuit television system approved for inmate entertainment, information, and education.
CDCR's Division of Rehabilitative Programs offers a wide range of programs for inmates. Check to see which programs are offered at this institution.
Family Liaison Service Specialist
CDCR provides through a contract with a community-based organization an on-site Case Manager as a family reunification liaison for inmates and family members, to assist with an inmates pre-release preparation; and conduct Parenting and Creative Conflict Resolution classes for inmates. Please call the Institution to contact the Family Reunification Liaison.
Kern Valley State Prison is located in Delano, a culturally diverse community that celebrates their culture and heritage with festivals throughout the year. There’s the Cinco de Mayo celebration in early May, put on by the Cinco de Mayo Fiestas Incorporated, and a few months later, the Filipino culture is celebrated with the Philippine Weekend, 30 years old and still going strong. In the fall, there’s the Harvest Holidays, a four-day festival of fun. Agriculture is the heart and soul of the community. There are 260,000 acres of citrus groves in California; 70% of those are in the Central Valley and 121,000 acres of table grapes grown in the counties of Fresno, Kern and Tulare. The Delano Breezeway Murals are a must see and a way to showcase the culture, agriculture and the people who shaped a way of life in this Central Valley community.
KVSP is a Level IV facility consisting of four (4) semi-autonomous 180 designed facilities and two (2) stand alone Administrative Segregation Units all surrounded by a Lethal Electrified Perimeter Fence. There is also a Level I Minimum Support Facility (MSF). Facility D (180) will house the Transitional Housing Unit. It is on 600 acres with 200 acres across the street that PIA grow alfalfa on. We received Level I's in June 2005 and Level IV's in July 2005.
Christian Pfeiffer, Warden.
Christian Pfeiffer has been warden or acting Warden at Kern Valley State Prison since November 2015. He held multiple positions at Kern Valley State Prison from 2012 to 2015, including Chief Deputy Warden and Correctional Administrator.
He was the Classification and Paroles Representative at Wasco State Prison – Reception Center from 2008 to 2012.
Prior to 2008, he held numerous positions at Kern Valley State Prison, California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison at Corcoran, and Regional Accounting Office- Corcoran. The positions include Correctional Counselor I, Correctional Counselor II and Accounting Officer and Accountant Trainee.
Karen Brown was appointed CEO at KVSP in 2015. She is responsible for the Correctional Treatment Center (CTC) and clinic management of 360 health care professionals, and allied health and support personnel. The 22-bed CTC is licensed by the California Department of Public Health. There are more than 120,000 visits per year to the outpatient clinics, and the annual budget is in excess of $50 million.
Ms. Brown has more than 20 years of progressive management experience in the public and private sectors and joined CCHCS in 2008. She worked at Folsom State Prison immediately prior to KVSP where she held the positions of Correctional Health Services Administrator, Chief Support Executive, and Chief Executive Officer (A).
Ms. Brown holds a Bachelor of Science from California State University at Pomona, and a Master of Arts in Organizational Management from University of Phoenix, Sacramento. She is a Certified Correctional Health Care Professional with the National Commission on Correctional Health Care, and a Certified Six Sigma Green Belt - Healthcare from Villanova University.
Local Inmate Family Councils (IFC's) are a gathering of family and friends of the incarcerated who meet regularly with Wardens to support visiting since keeping strong family connections with loved ones is a powerful rehabilitative tool. These IFC's promote visiting by clarifying rules and regulations as well as discussing health, education, vocational training, packages, books, and related issues. For more information on connecting with a local IFC, please visit the Statewide IFC website.